Saturday, April 9, 2011

Miami's Problem

Let me start off by my history with Miami and all of its sports franchises. First of all I am not from Miami. I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida. Tampa is but a four hour drive away from Miami, so it really is not that far from where I live regardless. I have been a fan of Miami teams since I was a little kid. I was heavily influenced by my father to like Miami teams. You could say i was forced into liking these teams. I remember that my room (and later my brother's room) had Dolphin memorabilia hung on every corner in every available spot. My dad bled all those colors and it ultimately was passed unto myself.

I did have family in Miami, so I would often visit the city quite frequently when I was younger. Actually I was forced to stay in Miami for the Summer every year while I was away from school. My mom passed me over to my aunt and uncle and I would basically live with them for three months out of the year. If you guessed that my uncle was another die hard Miami fan, you guessed correctly. So, even away from the clutches of my father, I was constantly around people who adored everything sports related involving Miami.

I make it seem like it is a bad thing, and it could very well be. I am obsessed with sports, and I blame my guardians for that. Let me retract that last sentence. I enjoy sports, but I almost enjoy it to a fault. I like it too much. I want my life to revolve around sports. I want a career where I can watch sports for a living and write about it or be someone who works and fixes stats for specific sports.

The Miami Dolphins, Hurricanes, and Heat along with the Florida Marlins all represent all that is bad with Miami sports. It has nothing to do with the teams, although they all have their faults. The biggest issue these teams face on a daily basis is... their fans.

Simply put, the fans in that city suck. I watch every game for all these teams. (except the Marlins. I watched them when I was younger, but switched to the Rays when they were formed ... (even though the Rays do not even play in Tampa, but lets not get sidetracked.) ) The fans don't support their teams. Every game I have watched for these teams has had numerous empty seats. How does that happen? Where is the fan support?

I could see reasons that the economy is affecting attendance, but other cities do not seem to have this problem. That fact, combined with most of these teams being on the wrong side of the winning percentages can also be a reason for the low attendance ratings.

But... there is a team that has no reason to ever NOT have a sold out arena. The Miami Heat showcase two of the most electrifying, exciting, and athletic basketball players to grace us. Say what you want about Chris Bosh, even though I regard him as another great player, but Lebron James and Dwayne Wade are the best of the best. There is no debate or measure to say otherwise. James is lacking in the trophy department, but his skills are one of a kind. Wade has already brought a ring to the city, so his skill and determination is unquestioned.

For the sports fans around at this specific time in history, those two players are two of the greats. They should draw a crowd alone, let alone paired up. So why haven't they? Most radio networks and ticket sales show that the Heat are selling out every home game of the season, but if you actually watch the games you can spot empty seats all over the American Airlines Arena. It sickens me. Where is the support for this team?

Other examples.

The Miami Hurricanes are one of college football's greatest recent teams. Since the 1980s they have brought five championships to the city, the last one being in 2000-01. Since then they have seen their talent level drop and have come back to reality in some harsh ways. Still, where are the fans? The games can't sell out for a college team with so much history? Last year was not a good year for the Canes, but it was also not a good year for the Florida Gators and you better believe that the UF fans packed the swamp for every home game. For shame people of Miami, for shame.

The Dolphins share the same sad fate as the other local teams. The only football team to EVER finish a complete NFL season undefeated and house one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game (Joey Harrington) and where are all the fans? Dolphin home games usually have more visiting team fans in the bleachers then people sporting the orange and teal. It's downright wrong.

The Florida Marlins also do not have the greatest fan base, despite winning two recent World Series title. Though that is more on the owners themselves due to selling the entire team after winning both titles. You can't build a crowd around past accomplishment if all those that were responsible are now part of the rivals squads.

Currently I live too far away and the gaudy price tag of 150+ for a nosebleed seat to go watch the Heat play keep me away from being someone in the crowd. But that is not what makes a fan, so I digress. Miami has a long list of storied franchises, but it is not known for its deep fan base. Miami fans are flaky. They like a team if they are winning, and will not support the team if they are losing. Many cities might share the same type of support, but this particular fan is disgusts me.

If Cleveland can sell out its arena with just Lebron James, why can't the Heat fans show the same type of support for him D. Wade and Chris Bosh as well. That seems like a better product to sell, and yet the results are less then impressive. I'm not talking about the team or its record, mind you. I talk solely on what my eyes have seen so far this season and what I have been seeing for every Miami based sports franchise.

I see it in Tampa too. Buccaneer and Rays fans are just as bad. The Bucs and Rays both had great seasons in 2010, but neither could produce a large crowd to show up for the games. The Bucs did not have one game air locally due to none of the home games being sold out and the ridiculous blackout rule the NFL enforces. No one got to see a great season of football by a young team that everyone counted out before they even stepped on the field to play one snap. The media hyped them as failures and the fans listened like sheep in a flock.

Maybe it's just a Florida thing.

Either way, the one thing I know for sure is that Miami fans suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment